Week #8: ZFS
Josh Bicking (@jibby0) - 07 March 2019
This week’s talk is all about snapshots, self healing, and more block storage than you can believe! Why yes, it’s ZFS!
Josh (that’s me) will be going over the history and basics of ZFS. We’ll go swimming in a zpool, and take some snapshots to remember it. :) Complete with a demo of some cool ZFS features, of course!
ZFS may use a copy on write (COW) model, but there’ll be no bull at this talk about an udderly fantastic filesystem.
Just bad puns. Obviously.
Check out the good points, and the pain points, in this week’s PowerPoint. Then enjoy a nice, long spring break!
–Josh Bicking (@jibby0)
- Linux 5.0 is out. Cuz Linus ran out of fingers and toes again.
- Linux Mint is getting a facelift. In other news, Mint’s current logo is a leaf. Somehow I missed that.
- Approximate Quantum Computing… on a Ras Pi. Sure, why not?
- Linux users install 3 million snap apps every month, according to Canonical. Now if only it would leave my loop devices alone.
- PureOS is now convergent. Purism’s cross-platform OS, PureOS, now runs apps the same on both mobile phones and laptops. No building for different devices. Pretty impressive!